Do I need a visa to go to France (ordinary passport) ?


The short stay is a stay in the Schengen area for a continuous or discontinuous period of 90 days or less per six-month period.

The following persons are not required to have a visa to enter France’s European territory :

- Citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland ;

- Holders of a valid residency document or of a long stay visa (D-visa) issued by Germany or another country applying the Schengen agreements : you must travel with your valid residency document or long stay visa and your valid passport issued within the past 10 years ;

- Non-european citizens who are not resident in the Schengen-Area of the following countries :

  • Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, East Timor, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Malaysia, The Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Perou, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, irrespective of the reasons for their stay. (Attention : you may be requested to show elements to the French immigration officers upon arrival, such as proof of accommodation, evidence of financial resources, travel insurance).
    But a work permit is still required before to go to France.
    Your employer can get it from a DIRECCTE (Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi) ;
  • Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro and Serbia with a biometric passport ;
  • Holders of an UNO-pass (red or blue) ;
  • Holders of a NATO-pass ;
  • Holders of a “British Nationals Overseas” passport ;
  • Holders of passports from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (People’s Republic of China) and the Macau Special Administrative Region (People’s Republic of China). This exemption does not apply to income-earning activities in France.

If your status is not mentionned above, you certainly need a Schengen-visa.

Be careful : The SOFA-card is not recognized in other Schengen-countries. If your nationality is not mentionned above, you need a Schengen-visa.

Long stay

The long stay is a stay more than 90 days in France.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need any visa to enter France.

Citizens of other nationalities must apply for a long stay visa.

Dernière modification : 18/07/2016

Haut de page