Professionals or self-employed workers - long stay

Attention : Excepted citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you must apply for a long stay visa before you go to France.

Each visa applicant must appear in person with an appointment (see below). The General French Consulate in Frankfort has sole competence in Germany to issue french visas to professionals or self-employed workers.


Access to certain professions is not authorized unless you are a national from a European Union country (EU). These are lawyers at the Conseil d’Etat and the Cour de Cassation, lawyers at the court of appeal, commissaires priseurs (appraisers-auctioneers), clerks with the commerce tribunals, bailiffs, notaries, judicial administrators and insurance general agents, intellectual property counsels and registered auditors.

Others will need an authorisation from the relevant professional body. These include architects, lawyers, accountants, land surveyors, doctors, dentists, midwives and veterinarians.

Others still must obtain a special authorization and are subject to certain restrictions. These include pharmacists and paramedical professionals.

Finally, some are unregulated. They include, for example, artists who are not salaried, commercial brokers paid by commission, consultants, consulting engineers, experts, translators and interpreters, journalists, independent photographers…

Documents to be provided (originals + 2 copies of all your originals)

- 2 [*] long-stay visa application forms duly completed and signed ;

- 2 [*] identification photos, in colour, recent (less than three months), original in 35 mm X 45 mm format with clear and uniform background ;

- Original passport + photocopies of principal pages. Passport in good condition, with a date of expiration at least 6 months after the beginning of the visa, issued within the past 10 years and containing at least 2 blank pages. The visa is validated by a self-adhesive label that will be affixed to one of the pages of the passport ;

- Proof of legal presence in Germany + photocopies (Aufenthaltstitel, long-stay visa) ;

- A letter indicating the reasons for your application ;

- Supporting evidence of your socio-professional situation (degrees, curriculum vitæ, employment certificate, contracts, registration of companies in Germany, portfolio…) (original + two photocopies) ;

- Documentary evidence of your means of livelihood during your stay in France (original + two photocopies) ;

- Extract from the police record of countries where the applicant has resided during the past three years + photocopy ;

- Supporting evidence of a residence in France : property deed, residential lease, lodging certificate (recent invoice for water, electricity, gas…) (original + two photocopies) ;

- Document proving medical coverage (contract) (original + 2 copies) ;

- Application fees (non-refundable) : 99 € payable only cash (200 € and 500 € bank notes are not accepted). Spouse of a european citizen don’t pay the visa fees (provide marriage act and proof of european citizenship of the spouse).

Attention : The Consulate reserves the right to claim additional evidence.


Because of the processing time, we suggest you to join an envelopp in order to send it per registered post (envelopps from DHL, UPS, ... are not accepted) for the return of your passport at home in Germany.
If you don’t wish to let your passport at the visa section, you will have to come back another day to pick up your visa.
Please see the timeframes

Make an appointment with the visa section

Each applicant who wants to live in France with his or her spouse and his or her children under 18 should begin the family reunification ("regroupement familial") OFII-procedure 18 months after his or her legal arrival in France and if he or she has got at least a one-year french residence permit.

Attention : the delivered visa is a three-month D-Visa. After receiving it, you must apply for a residence card in the préfecture where you live.

The Consulate reserves the right to require additional supporting evidence. Filing the documents does not systematically guarantee issuance of a visa. You should not leave your present job, sell your property or commit yourself in any way before receiving your visa.


Citizens from following countries must produce 3 long-stay application forms and 3 photos : Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaïdjan, Belorussia, Georgia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kirghistan, Liban, Libya, Moldavia, Ouzbekistan, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tadjikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraina.

Dernière modification : 07/08/2015

Haut de page