Student of majority age (more than 18 years) - long stay
Attention : Excepted citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you must apply for a long stay visa if you stay more than 90 days in France before leaving Germany.
Each visa applicant must appear in person with an appointment (see below). The General French Consulate in Frankfort has sole competence in Germany to issue french student visas.
You can’t apply for a visa more than 3 months before the previous date of departure.
Documents to be provided in this exact order (originals + one copy of all your originals)
Original passport + photocopy of principal pages. Passport in good condition, with a date of expiration at least 3 months after the end of the student’s proposed stay in France, issued within the past 10 years and containing at least 2 blank pages. The visa is validated by a self-adhesive label that will be affixed to one of the pages of the passport ;
Proof of legal presence in Germany + photocopy (Aufenthaltstitel + Zusatzblatt, long-stay visa) ;
Student’s official acceptance letter or acknowledgment of enrollment, specifying exact dates of attendance and length of the studies + receipt of payment + photocopies ;
Inter-university exchange students : certificate of registration issued by the german school ;
Diplomas. If not available, provide the academic certificates (original + photocopy) ;
A cover letter explaining your reasons for requesting this visa + curriculum vitae, in french if possible, if not in english ;
Proof of sufficient means of support :
- Scholarship and financial aid students : attestation confirming the amount and duration of the bursary or an explanation outlining the benefits of a community program ; no additional resource is required.
- Nonscholarship students : any recent evidence of sufficient means of livelihood, corresponding to almost 100% of the basic monthly subsistence allowance provided by the French Government to foreign bursary students (615 € per month), for the entire first year or proof of an equivalent source of revenue. Such resources must be proven by all the following documents :
- bank statements in Germany of the last 3 months ;
- a letter certifying a guarantee of reimbursement for an amount of 615 € by a surety in France or abroad ;
- bank statements of the last 3 months of your surety ;
- an evidence of his or her resources (3 latest pay slips, last 3 banking statements and last income tax assessment if your security lives in France, …)
- a photocopy of an ID document of your surety ;
Accommodation during at least the first three months of the stay :
- In the case of a rented accommodation : lease contract ;
- If accommodation is provided by an individual : letter stating their full address and that you will be living with them during the whole length of the study period + copy of the french national identity card, copy of the "titre de séjour" for non French citizens + copy of a telephone or gas or electricity bill of the person you will be staying with in France ;
- If accommodation is in an establishment (or in an institution) or provided by an establishment (or an institution) : attestation by the establishment or institution ;
- If accommodation is in a hotel : reservation and necessary resources to cover costs ;
Specific OFII form duly completed ;
Application fees (non-refundable) : 99 € payable only cash (200 € and 500 € bank notes are not accepted). Scholarship and financial aid students don’t pay the visa fees. Spouse of a european citizen don’t pay the visa fees (provide marriage act and proof of european citizenship of the spouse).
For the accompanying family (originals + photocopies)
Original passport + photocopy of principal pages. Passport in good condition, with a date of expiration at least 3 months after the end of the student’s proposed stay in France, issued within the past 10 years and containing at least 2 blank pages ;
Proof of legal presence in Germany + photocopy (Aufenthaltstitel, long-stay visa) ;
Specific OFII form duly completed ;
According to the individual case, marriage certificate translated in french for the spouse, birth certificates translated in french for the children ;
Application fees (non-refundable) : 99 € for each applicant payable only cash (200 € and 500 € bank notes are not accepted).
The Consulate reserves the right to claim additional evidence.
Please see the timeframes
If you don’t wish to let your passport at the visa section, you will have to come back another day to pick up your visa.
Upon arrival in France, the person must immediately send the specific OFII form signed by the Consulate to the OFII territorial division that has jurisdiction in the Department where the person resides. The OFII will subsequently contact him or her for the compulsory medical and reception appointments. Fees for the issuance of the residency document must be paid on this occasion.
Access to work during the studies (stay longer than 6 months) : You have the possibility of working according to your student status, within the 60% limit of the annual work term, namely 964 hours a year. The employer will forward a declaration of employment pertaining to the applicant to the DIRECCTE (Labour Office) at least 2 days prior to the beginning of his or her work contract.
Stay in Schengen-Area
In accordance with Article 21 § 2bis of the Schengen Convention, this type “D” visa allows the holder to travel in the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days per 6-month period without any other visa.